The VECTOR-HIL allows customers to train their pilots with UAV Navigation’s system, but that can be used in trade fairs or for commercial DEMOs. In the same way, it can be used in iron-bird environments for testing as well as to connect some payloads for a more realistic simulation. The device consists of two separated computational boards: one runs an aircraft simulator (SIM) while the second (FCC) runs the real flight VECTOR software.
The SIM is able to:
● Display the 3D platform and environment on Flight Gear.
● Emulate the aircraft dynamics based on a complex dynamic and parameterized model.
● Emulate the behaviour of an estimator suite (AHRS) which is included in the standard autopilot VECTOR.
● Emulate different payload sensors such as: Laser Altimeter, Weight on wheels (WOW), RPM sensor etc…
● Read the PWM output from the AP to emulate the servo actuator in each control surface. Also, it is possible to simulate sensor failure, noise, disturbances and servo malfunction.
● Perform complete Pre-flight procedures.
The FCC Board stands for Flight Control Computer and runs the real flight control software. It receives the attitude data from the AHRS-INS port as the original code does, and it is configured and managed by Visionair.
WHAT IS VECTOR HIL?
VECTOR-HIL is an Hardware In the Loop simulator designed by UAV Navigation. It is based on the VECTOR architecture and allows to simulate missions of Targets, Rotary & Fixed Wing platforms
● Ruggedized housing
● One wire connectivity.
WHAT IS VECTOR HIL USEFUL FOR
FLIGHT OPERATION TRAINING
The HIL reproduce a realistic environment that allows to train UAV operators:
- Trainer can control & monitor the student operator activity remotely during the simulation.
- Realistic representation of UAV flight operation conditions.
- Accumulation of air-time for the Operators.
- Training of Preflight procedure to achieve quickly ready-to-fly conditions in real operations.
The HIL can be also used to plan and test missions that the platform must accomplish in real operations.
- To do so the user disposes of the Visionair tool: Flight Plan Editor.
- The missions can be tested in realistic weather conditions
- It is possible to simulate realistically advanced missions such as Cargo-Drop, or parachute release:
- Switch activation
- Changes in Mass, CG and Inertia parameters
- 3D Visualization of the maneuvers
FAIRS AND SHOWROOMS
In Fairs and Showrooms the HIL is strategic for:
- Grabbing attention to your stand
- Performing Live Demos to potential clients
- Showing a 3D view of your own flying aircraft model
- Giving profesional brand image to your company
INTEGRATION TESTS IN IRON-BIRD CONFIGURATION
The HIL can be used for “iron-bird” tests thanks to its connectivity capabilities:
- 24 GPIOs
- 3 COM Ports
- 1 Ethernet port
In such configuration the HIL serves for servo and peripherals integration tests, by simulating movement and payload handling expected during real flight
EMERGENCY & SAFETY PROCEDURES: TESTING AND TRAINING
Through the HIL software interface it is possible to induce emergency conditions during the flight operation simulation. This feature fulfil a twofold role:
|Logic Level||Generic / Custom||
The VECTOR-SIL solution executes a VECTOR autopilot software version that incorporates a simulator embedded into the autopilot code. While this assures SIL will behave exactly like the real autopilot at the logic level, execution times and sensor behavior are not the same as in real operation.
HIL on the other hand executes the exact same VECTOR code as the flight ready autopilot relying on an external CPU to create a simulation environment mimics the expected sensor and actuator delays. For control gain adjustment and advanced training, or platform modification testing HIL is the correct option.
|Generic||Custom||VECTOR-HIL allows for complete customization of your aircraft. This includes: custom stability derivatives, ground interaction parameters such as landing gear position, taxi simulation or distributed thrush among multiple engines.|
|-||VECTOR-HIL simulator enables an instructor to control the simulation while the operator student faces the operational awareness he would have during a real flight. In the VECTOR-SIL this setup is not possible.|
|-||HIL simulator is open to platform specific customization of the simulation environment as it is run on a different HW. For example the number and position of the engines or variations in the mass center depending on fuel consumption or payload use.|